500 NYC ROAD SHOW – Summer 2015

Join our 500 Startups NYC tour! We’re back on the road and want to meet YOU. Come meet members from our investment team and learn more about building your startup. We want to meet some of the world’s most promising startups. Our evening meetups are free to attend and will be followed by a relaxed evening of drinks and mingling. Learn more about 500’s seed fund and accelerator. Have questions? Get answers here.

Can’t join the tour? Learn more about 500’s accelerator program and apply online.

Attendees will:

> Meet 500: Who’s behind 500? You’ll find out. In return we’ll want to meet you, learn more about what you’re working on, and help you out. We think it’s a good deal.

> Ask 500: Chat with the 500 team and its founders to find out how they select who to invest in, and what it’s like to join the 500 family. This will come in handy if you end up joining us!

> Network 500: We’ll be bringing together other great founders and investors from your area, so this will be the perfect time to network and buddy up.

500_NYC_map_final

Evening Events:
> July 6th: Women Founder’s Panel: RSVP
> July 7th: Meet the 500 Family: RSVP
> July 8th: Get a Taste of the 500 Accelerator Program: RSVP
> July 9th: Fundraising in NYC: RSVP

Meet Our Team
Tanya Soman – Principal
Poornima Vijayashanker – Venture Partner

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Partners

gaflatlogo

 

General Assembly is an educational institution that transforms thinkers into creators through education in technology, business and design. Our global network of students, instructors, and entrepreneurs aims to bring people together to take advantage of a new kind of learning-by-doing approach to education.
logo

 

Plum Alley is the first crowdfunding site specifically for female entrepreneurs. By aiming to “connect women entrepreneurs with markets, capital, and advice,” Plum Alley enables users to shop for products, raise funds, and get advice from other female movers and shakers.

wework-logo-1

 

WeWork is a provider of shared workspace, community, and services for entrepreneurs, freelancers, startups and small businesses.

How to Close Investors: Stop Pitching and Start Growing Revenue

By Tanya Soman and Poornima Vijayashanker

In our previous post we talked about the 3 elements every demo day pitch must have, and the biggest takeaway was to show traction: lead with real success indicators like monthly revenue and revenue growth. And this doesn’t just pertain to demo day. Many investors will say they want to see more traction before they’re ready to invest. You might be thinking, “Well, they just aren’t the right investor. They’re too risk averse!”

A lot of founders discard this investor feedback and just keep pitching to others, thinking that they’ll eventually find the right set of investors who are willing to take the risk and bet on a company with little revenue. That might be the case, but if you don’t have revenue, you’re negotiating from a position where you don’t have much leverage.

Founders need to face the new reality that they often must show revenue before an investor will write them a check.

Think about it this way: if you can tell every investor that you meet that your revenue is growing 20-40% month-over-month, you’re set to break even in 3 months, and you’ll hit profitability in 6 months, how do you think they’d react?

They’d recognize that you don’t need their investment, but they don’t want to miss out on an opportunity to invest and fuel your growth.

This is exactly what we did with two companies we advise at 500 Startups: Headout and Pop Up Archive.

Headout helps travelers book experiences on demand using their mobile devices, while Pop Up Archive makes sound searchable through cutting-edge speech-to-text technology.

headoutHow Headout tripled their revenue

When we first met Varun Khona, the CEO and co-founder of Headout, he told us he was having a hard time raising capital. We asked him what the investor feedback had been, and he said that investors were unanimously telling him that he needed to 2X his revenue and grow in excess of 30% month-over-month.

So we recommended that he stop pitching and focus on sales and ramping up on revenue. He was nervous about pausing his fundraising activities, but we reassured him that if he focused on revenue, fundraising would be a cinch come demo day.

Headout, at the time, was operating only in NYC. They needed to think about how they could increase their sales. Here were the methods they used:

  • Added more suppliers to appeal to tourists
  • Increased awareness among tourists with more effective marketing campaigns and doubling down on existing distribution partnerships; counterintuitively, this actually led them to focus on fewer channels instead of more
  • Pushed for repeat sales with a new email marketing campaign, because many people frequent NYC multiple times a year
  • Added one additional city to grow the market: they launched in Vegas, thereby also addressing scalability concerns for the investor community
  • Focused on product-driven innovation to increase conversion rates, including but not limited to intelligent push notifications, relevant pop-ups, and UX-focused revamps

Their focused efforts during a 3-month period in the accelerator led to 3X in revenue. Varun was still pretty nervous about what investors would say, but we reassured him by pointing out that he now had more leverage. With his current run rate he didn’t need investment. He and his team could continue to grow for the next 6-9 months and would hit profitability. But investment could propel him past profitability by helping him open up additional cities and move faster than the competition, and that would be an opportunity no investor would want to miss out on!

Headout ended up closing a $1.8M seed round in February 2015.

popuparchive-logoHow Pop Up Archive closed customers within a month

Sometimes you get stuck because prospects are giving you the run around. So while you’re spinning your wheels trying everything to get traction, you’re stuck in the mud because customers are indecisive.

When we met Anne Wootton, the CEO and co-founder of Pop Up Archive, she told us how she had about 10-15 prospects in the pipeline who were all very eager to sign up, but they were all taking their sweet time to get back to her.

Their indecision was holding up sales, and without sales she was concerned that investors wouldn’t take her seriously.

To help Anne out, we started out by asking her what would be a reasonable price point for her service that would also close customers quickly, without the need for them to go through lengthy internal approval processes. She said around $5K-$10K.

So we suggested she create a pilot program with a clear product offering that would be aligned with what they were looking for, at a price point that would make the decision fly through approvals. And to get them to close quickly, she needed to “SUE” them:

 

  • Scarcity: Anne would open just 10 spots for her pilot program.
  • Urgency: If prospects were interested, they would need to reply by May 15, 2014, no extensions. But she’d of course send out reminder emails to reiterate the value proposition of the pilot and nudge them along.
  • Exclusivity: The program would only be available to customers that met a certain set of criteria. This way, they felt like they were getting premium service and working with a company that cared about their specific needs.

Anne set up a 3-part email campaign series, and after just the first email, her phone started to ring with interest! But unlike before, these customers were ready to move forward and make a decision.

Of course, there were people who said no, but creating a forcing function made it clear whether a prospect was actually interested or just shopping around.

Anne closed her pilot and used the resulting sales to show a 6-figure run rate, which appealed to investors and helped her close a round of funding of $1M+ in 2014.

For more techniques on closing customers, check out Poornima’s latest talk: How to Build a Sales Pipeline with Customers You Can Close. You can find the slides here.

Remember, it’s easier to close checks when you offer investors an opportunity to grow a business that’s already thriving with sales!

How to Close Checks on Stage: The 3 Elements Every Demo Day Pitch Must Have

By Tanya Soman and Poornima Vijayashanker

Most startup founders have one thing in common: they want to raise money for their companies. There’s a lot of anxiety about “the pitch”: How can a founder squeeze their current life’s passion into a 3-minute summary? Will it compel an investor to cut a check?

There’s also skepticism: it’s hard to believe that an investor would be willing to write a $50K, $100K, or even $500K check after hearing a 3-minute pitch from a founder.

But suspend your disbelief… it does happen.

And for startups that are at an accelerator, it can happen during Demo Day. Demo Day is a frenzy of pitching and networking, and there’s a lot to learn from watching and comparing the companies that go through it together all at once.

For a little over a year now, the two of us have been working at 500 Startups’ accelerator program and have seen plenty of startups go through Demo Day. Some get funding on the spot, some leave empty-handed, and many come away with something in between. These are some 500 Startups companies that have successfully raised money on the big day:

So what’s their secret to closing on stage?

There are lots of pitch tips out there, but we’ve worked with so many companies that we’ve started to see patterns. Tanya, a principal at 500, runs pitch prep and wades through 1500 applications twice a year to recruit companies for the program. Poornima is an entrepreneur-in-residence who advises 90+ companies on all aspects of startup strategy and operations, including, of course, fundraising. Companies she’s advised have gone on to raise $1.5M+ in seed, including AppZen, Headout, Lenda, and Pop Up Archive.

Every company we’ve worked with that also closes checks on stage does the following 3 things in their pitch.

  1. Leads with traction.

Here’s one big mistake that companies make—and it’s even more of a shame when the company is doing well.

When they describe how their company is performing, they’ll lead with vanity metrics like: “We create 10K widgets.” Or, “We send out 10M+ emails a day.”

So what?

Using vanity metrics doesn’t tell an investor how a company is doing. In fact, they tend to make it seem like the founder is hiding something.

No investor has time to dig in while you’re on stage to realize that the company has $150K in MRR (monthly recurring revenue) and are growing 40% MoM (month-over-month).

But this is exactly the type of data that will make them want to back you!

So, you have to mention revenue and growth (of revenue or userbase) within the first 30 seconds to pique their interest.

Pro tip: When you speak about your traction, you’ve gotta own it. So you have to use declarative language like: “We are on target to hit a $1.8M run rate this year.”

NOT: “It looks like…” “I think we’ll…”

“WE ARE ON TARGET!”

So, why do so many companies present vanity metrics instead of useful revenue and growth numbers?

We’ve found that it’s because they honestly don’t know that they’re supposed to talk about how much money they are making. Some may be ashamed because they think it’s too low, while others aren’t used to sharing such numbers in public. Don’t fall into this trap.

Remember: Revenue is real. And if you’ve got it, flaunt it!

If you don’t got it, we’ll talk about how to get it in a future post.

  1. Get to the point quickly.

Often founders tell their life stories during the pitch: how they met their co-founders, lead expeditions through the Amazon, blah blah blah … save it for drinks after Demo Day!

Winning companies get to the point quickly.

You want to start by addressing the problem in the market and explaining why it’s HUGE.  Describe who is experiencing the problem (i.e. the customer persona) and why are you uniquely positioned to solve it. This is where you can highlight your professional background, if it proves your point that you’ve got a competitive edge. Don’t forget to mention important traction metrics like revenue and growth in the first 30 seconds of the pitch, wherever it makes most sense.

**You need a crisp narrative to make people understand your value proposition. And it’s just as important to get it clear in your head before you pitch as it is to practise it over and over and over again. Test your pitch on everyone so they can confirm they understand what your company does.**

**Distill your pitch down to less than 5 sentence, your value prop to 3 advantages, and your solution to 1 line. Remember, you are pitching a business, NOT a product. That business needs to affect a customer or user’s life to mean something.**

Then, you can talk about your unique solution, but do NOT go into a product demo. Founders can get really bogged down in details that just don’t make sense to share in 3 minutes. You want to keep things as high level as possible and get to the points that really matter.

Think about it this way: what is going to make someone want to come up and talk to you after your pitch?

  1. Leave them with an opportunity.

You just spent 2 minutes talking about how you’re company is amazing, and the last thing you want is a lukewarm ending.

You want to finish strong with recapping the highlights:

  • Problem in the market
  • Why you are uniquely positioned to solve the problem
  • Why it’s is a HUGE opportunity right now
  • Traction metrics showing that you’re already making it happen, so they don’t wanna miss out!

Here are some examples of lukewarm endings

“We hope you enjoyed hearing about our product. If you love what we’re doing as much as we do, let’s talk! The first five people to shoot me an email, after this event, will receive a free t-shirt. I look forward to seeing you at the break.”

This is a pretty generic ending. It doesn’t provided a recap, and the CTA isn’t about the actual product!

“Remember when I said we could create anything you could imagine? I wasn’t kidding, I really meant anything! The first five people to shoot me an email, after this event, will receive our product for free!”

This ending also falls short. It’s too wide open, doesn’t convey the opportunity, and frankly the statement: “I really meant anything!”  seems a little incredulous.

Here are some examples of a strong endings

sourceeasy

Sourceeasy

“We are building a formidable business and we’ve got the team to do it. We’re at a $2MM run rate with over 100 customers growing 30% MoM. If you feel this is something exciting, please come talk to us backstage. We’ve got great swag for you!”

In this one the founder Pranay Srinivasan recaps his traction and then gives the audience a clear CTA (call-to-action)

lenda

Lenda

“This is the largest financial transaction you will make in your life. In fact, 4.5 million people do it every year. As it stands right now we do our taxes online, pay our credit cards online, bank online, and now you can get a home loan online too! If you want to talk more about the future of lending, please come and find us after the show.”

In this one the founder Jason van den Brand reaffirms the problem in the market, the market opportunity: getting a home loan, and again gives the audience a clear CTA.

Are you working on a pitch?

Summarize it in 5 sentences, and put it in the comments below. We’ll be happy to review it and send you feedback!

 

500 ROAD SHOW – 2015 GLOBAL TOUR

Join our 500 Startups Transatlantic tour! We’re back on the road and want to meet YOU. Come meet members from our investment team and learn more about building your startup. We want to meet some of the world’s most promising startups. Our evening meetups are free to attend and will be followed by a relaxed evening of drinks and mingling. Learn more about 500’s seed fund and accelerator. Have questions? Get answers here.

Can’t join the tour? Learn more about 500’s accelerator program and apply online.


Attendees will:

> Meet 500: Who’s behind 500? You’ll find out. In return we’ll want to meet you, learn more about what you’re working on, and help you out. We think it’s a good deal.

> Ask 500: Chat with the 500 team and its founders to find out how they select who to invest in, and what it’s like to join the 500 family. This will come in handy if you end up joining us!

> Network 500: We’ll be bringing together other great founders from your area, so this will be the perfect time to network and buddy up.


500 MAP Global Road Show-01
Map image credits: Ksenia Lukanova

Tour will include stops in:

> May 19 – NEW YORK: RSVP

> May 20 – TORONTO: RSVP

> May 28 – TEL AVIV: RSVP

> June 1 – LONDON: RSVP

> June 4 – BERLIN: RSVP (With special guest Dave McClure)

> June 23 – LOS ANGELES: RSVP


 Meet Our Kickass Team:

maxmojanroadshowphoto


Partners:

dc-logo-stamp-retina

District Cowork is a new coworking space in New York for entrepreneurs with modern open space, designer lounge, conference rooms and a relaxing rooftop.

angellist-logo2

AngelList is where the world meets startups. Investors: invest in early-stage startups. Startups: find team members, angel investors and venture capital.

soundcloud

SoundCloud is the world’s leading audio platform, where anyone can share and discover unique music and audio, on the web and on mobile.

gaflatlogo

Partner: General Assembly is an educational institution that transforms thinkers into creators through education in technology, business and design. Our global network of students, instructors, and entrepreneurs aims to bring people together to take advantage of a new kind of learning-by-doing approach to education.

111Logo-copy-300x87

Partner: OneEleven is over 15,000 square feet of start-up development space in the downtown Toronto core where our region’s brightest minds will have complete access to high performance computing, training and development, industry partnerships, and domain expertise, mentorship and financing to create the next generation of data-driven technologies.

Join the #500Strong Family – Land a Job at One of Our Companies!

Want to get on the fast track to working at an kickass startup? We’re hosting a Job Fair on Friday, May 8th at our HQ in Mountain View, CA. From 2-5pm, you’ll get a chance to meet founders in our current batch of startups (Batch 13) and wow them with your awesome skills and sparkling personality.

In addition to working an early stage startup, you’d get to experience everything that comes with 500’s accelerator program – working out of our awesome office space, meeting tons of people in the 500 family, attending events and fireside chats with big-name founders, and more.

CH-jobfair

“I showed up and instantly felt like I was in the right place. Every person I talked to was enthusiastic and driven. I didn’t even realize it was an internship fair at first. I thought it was more of a networking event. So I made it a point to talk to as many people as possible and learn about their startups.” –  Chris Hiestand (Batch 9, Lenda)

What kinds of candidates are our startups looking for? Pretty much anyone who can help, as long as they’re passionate about startups and willing to help out in any way possible (these are early-stage startups, after all). Don’t be intimidated if you’re not technical – plenty of our startups are looking to hire people in marketing, sales, biz dev, customer support, and other roles.

Ready to hustle? Register for the job fair here. (JOB SEEKERS ONLY PLEASE).

PS – Are you a founder who wants to join our next accelerator batch in San Francisco? Apply here via Angelist.

500 Startups Announces Batch 13 in Mountain View

Double dang. Can you believe we’re already on our 13th accelerator batch? For those of you keeping track, this is our tenth batch in Mountain View!

As always, our companies have all types of founders from everywhere on the globe. There are 28 companies in this group, and 46% of our companies have at least one woman on the founding team. Additionally, 61% of our companies have at least one foreign‐born founder.  Countries include: US, UK, China, Argentina, Uruguay, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, Estonia, New Zealand, South Korea, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Italy, Brazil, Russia, Kuwait…. <cue… It’s a small world world after all…..>  Follow of our companies on AngelList.

If you want to join 500 in the future, you’re in luck – Batch 14 (San Francisco) applications are currently open. We’re always on the look out for great companies with traction and awesome founders.  APPLY NOW

Without further ado, here are all the companies in our latest accelerator: 

alumnify-logo

Alumnify

Alumnify is a location based professional networking application that enables communication between mutually interested alumni. Using LinkedIn’s API, Alumnify pulls users’ professional information and uses filters to match potential graduates who are most likely to have similar interests based on their geolocation, industry, and education. This creates a job networking tool that fosters relationships based on the affinity users have with their university that is fun and addicting.

AngelList: https://angel.co/alumnify

Founders: AJ Agrawal, Eghosa (Iggy) Aihie

From: San Francisco, CA

Fun Fact: AJ can touch his nose with his tongue and has double-jointed ring fingers.

 BetterWorld Wireless

BetterWorld Wireless

BetterWorld Wireless is a U.S. mobile solutions company with a mission: Connect America’s underserved with civil society. Our goal is to lift all boats and create digital inclusion by connecting economically-disadvantage people in the U.S., and keeping them connected. Customers (who can) pay it forward through the Phone for Phone donation program.

AngelList: https://www.betterworldwireless.com/

Founders: Matt Bauer, Amy Tucker, Jim Kenefick, Darian Rodriguez Heyman

From: United States

Fun Fact: Matt and Amy are both chicken (and hen) owners.

WDMmJLv

CellBreaker

You know those cell phone contracts that folks hate to be stuck in? Cell phone carriers breach those quite often, and each breach is an opportunity to cancel the contract with no early termination fee. CellBreaker + Veeto automates monitoring, managing, and breaking cell phone contracts.

AngelList: https://angel.co/cellbreaker-1

Founders: Jon Colgan, Justin Baker, Jules Hill

From: Durham, NC

Fun Fact: Jules claims that he can drink a bottle of water in less than one second.

imgres

ChattingCat

ChattingCat is a platform that connects non-native speakers who want to write better English to native speakers who want to help them. Non-native speakers get instant correction of their written English. ChattingCat changes the way people learn to write foreign language and enables them to confidently write English for professional communication. ChattingCat brings disruptive innovation to both the language education and professional language service market.

AngelList: https://angel.co/chattingcat

Founder: April Kim

From: South Korea

Fun Fact: April is a writer.

10960210_854673084592872_7369523408789049441_o


Clowder

Clowder is an on-demand coffee delivery service based in New York City. Order a cortado for yourself or a tray of lattes for your most deserving friends. Brewed and delivered from their hands to yours with no hassle, no additional fees, no order minimum.

AngelList: https://angel.co/clowder-1

Founders: Christine Miao, Matt Casey

From: New York, NY

Fun Fact: When Christine applied to her first job as a designer, she did the entire exercise in Microsoft Paint and Excel.

10314687_692013547538704_7640014524479498786_n

Coach Market

Coach Market was founded to help people achieve more in their careers by providing expert guidance throughout their lifelong career journey. Coach Market believes that by making it easier to access the best professional career coaches, they can help their customers achieve their career potential and lead happier and more fulfilled lives.

Website: https://www.coachmarket.com/

Founder: Glenn Laumeister

From: New York, NY

Fun Fact: Glenn has traveled to over fifty countries.

cocontest_logo_name

 

CoContest

CoContest wants to disrupt the interior design market, connecting designers and customers from all over the world and breaking borders. Thanks to the “contest” method applied to private properties, the selection process for the best designer is based exclusively on the project quality, transforming this relational market into a meritocratic one.

AngelList: https://angel.co/cocontest

Founders: Filippo Schiano di Pepe, Federico Schiano di Pepe, Alessandro Rossi

From: Italy

Fun Fact: Filippo dreams of sailing solo around the world in his boat.

crowdplat

CrowdPlat

CrowdPlat is a crowdsourcing platform that connects customers with freelance teams from around the world to build custom apps and execute technology projects. The system includes two main components, cOutsource, the crowdsourcing platform and cLancers, the freelancing platform. Customers use cOutsource to post project specification, receive bids from several qualified freelance project managers, award the project and manage execution of the project. Freelance project managers use cLancers to submit proposals for projects and, if selected, execute customer projects. Other freelancers use cLancers to express interest on projects, engage the project manager and, if selected, work on the project.

AngelList: https://angel.co/crowdplat

Founders: Sahil (Sal) Sarosh

From: Milpitas, CA

DCC_Logo_Website Blue
Digital Currency Council

Often referred to as “the CFA for Bitcoin”, the Digital Currency Council (DCC) is a vertically integrated solution for lawyers, accountants, and financial professionals who are building practices related to the blockchain. The DCC currently provides its 1000 plus members with training and certification, as well connectivity to peers and prospective clients. Tomorrow, the DCC will be the professional’s toolbox for the blockchain.

AngelList: https://angel.co/digital-currency-council-1

Founders: David Berger, Dan McArdle

From: New York, NY

Fun Fact: Dan built and deployed a real-money Internet poker-playing bot over a decade ago. It didn’t lose money.

edools

Edools

Edools is like Shopify for e-learning: they cure the pain of any company willing to manage a full-service e-learning system. Edools takes care of all the complicated stuff: video and document hosting, students management, e-commerce integration, scalability, appearance, and even provides a killer API to integrate with the customer’s internal and third-party services. All it takes is activating the modules that make sense for their business.

AngelList: https://angel.co/edools

Founders: Rafael Carvalho, Maurilio Alberone, Bernardo Kircove

From: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Fun Fact: Maurilio showers with his iPhone.

EnvoyNow_Logo

EnvoyNow

EnvoyNow is an on-demand food delivery app focused on the college market.  Since the workforce is 100% student-powered, the Envoys (delivery people) knowledge as well as the exclusive access to deliver food to a hyper targeted location, whether it be on the third floor of a lecture hall or the basement of the library, creating an extra step of convenience for students and faculty that is unprecedented in the food delivery space.

.AngelList: https://angel.co/envoynow

Founders: Anthony Zhang, Chad Massura, Gabe Quintela, Nick Wang

From: Los Angeles, CA

Fun Fact: Anthony owns a tenacious teacup pig named Sterling.  Follow Sterling’s adventures on Instagram @sterlingtheminipig.

Fishfishme


Fishfishme

Fishfishme helps people find and book fishing charters around the world. In simple words, they connect fishing charter boats with people that want to go fishing. Fishfishme knows how difficult it is to find a boat with a good skipper to take you fishing. And even if you are lucky and already found one, then it’s a big hustle to book the trip and make the payment. Fishfishme’s mission is to make finding and booking a fishing trip super easy.

AngelList: https://angel.co/fishfishme

Founders: Abdullah Alshalabi, Jose Gil Zafra

From: Kuwait

Fun Fact: Abdullah has worked and lived all around the world including Kuwait, Hong Kong, Spain, Uruguay, the United States, and Dubai.

EAGKzeKuQB6Znmh2J-BrHH_kWKe-kh7nPw91YU0ll3Y

GlamST

GlamST helps retailers and beauty brands provide a multi-channel and customized experience for Millennials by giving them freedom, creativity and choice through a mobile and web virtual experience. Through the GlamST app, users can try makeup on their selfie (using their Virtual Makeup API which generates realistic images of the applied makeup on the user’s selfie), watch how-to video tutorials, compare shades and find new products to complete the look. It is a new way of interaction in the sale process and a way of making warm introductions to new shades, products and brands reducing the barrier of trying new shades and looks in seconds and helping them find the best look.

AngelList: https://angel.co/glamst

Founders: Agustina Sartori, Carolina Banales

From: Uruguay

Fun Fact: Carolina grew up on a farm in rural Uruguay and is just as comfortable lassoing sheep from horseback as she is committing lines in C++.

Greenway

Green Way Laboratories, Inc.

Green Way Laboratories, Inc. produces MastiClean, a patented multi-purpose cleaning formula. This highly unique blend of DfE and REACH approved ingredients create a true green and powerful cleaning solution. The science behind MastiClean enables the formula to break down the carbon chain of many common substances that are notoriously difficult to remove without the use of harsh and toxic solvents. MastiClean is safe to use on hands and virtually any surface. There is not a single ingredient in MastiClean that is toxic to the human body. It is odorless, hypo-allergenic, safe to use around food, non-flammable, non-corrosive, non-reactive and no rinsing is needed after use.

AngelList: https://angel.co/green-way-laboratories-inc

Founders: Ted Cote, Zack Gorlick

From: Long Beach, CA

Fun Fact: Once when Zack was snorkeling in the ocean, a stingray gave him a hickey on his arm.

Hazel Lane Web_Black

Hazel Lane

Travel without ever leaving home! Hazel Lane‘s subscription box features the best of eco-chic, artisanal products from a new city every month. #HappinessInABox Products range from apparel and scents to food from award winning restaurants, jewelry to home goods.

AngelList: https://angel.co/hazel-lane

Founder: Sam Strom

From: San Francisco, CA

Fun Fact: Sam grew up in several different communes.

Kollecto_New

Kollecto

Kollecto helps you build an affordable art collection by pairing you with your own Personal Art Advisor. Think of the service as your new art-buying mentor. Upon signing up, you’re matched with a personal advisor who has extensive experience navigating the gallery scene. He or she will work with you to figure out your needs (something big, over the couch), budget (under $1,500) and overall hopes and dreams (you’d love to impress friends with a sophisticated collection. There, you said it.)

AngelList: https://angel.co/kollecto

Founder: Tara Reed

From: Detroit, MI / New York, NY

Fun Fact: For most of her life, Tara has been a competitive hip hop dancer.

kono_plus-011

KonoLabs

Kono is an Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven personal assistant to ease scheduling. Kono will improve your scheduling experience and make your life easier. Simply type in “what” with “who”. Then Kono will recommend the 3 best locations at the best available time based on attendee’s preferences, locations, traffic, and availability. KonoLabs is a team of mainly Korean engineers with expertise in mobile product development, data analysis, and machine learning. 

AngelList: https://angel.co/konolabs-inc

Founders: YJ Min, Jung-hee Ryu, Mincheol Song

Fun Fact: YJ is a geek for new devices, gadgets and services, and heavily addicted to coffee and SNSs.

linguatrip

Linguatrip

Linguatrip is an online platform for booking quality language courses and student accommodations worldwide. It allows potential students to compare language schools and find the one that suits all of their needs. Linguatrip also allows users to book accommodations and flights, get information about the visa application process, and share their experiences. On the other side, schools can easily add information about themselves and update their potential customers on current promotions and availability.

AngelList: https://angel.co/mp-reserver

Founders: Dmitrii Pistoliako, Maria Mogilko, Dmitry Kravchuk

From: Russia

Fun Fact: Dmitrii has participated in amateur Go Karting World Championship Boxing.

MoBagel

MoBagel

MoBagel empowers and visualizes IoT businesses. MoBagel lets you create your own Internet of things. With no lines of code, get your IoT up and running in minutes. With MoBagel’s real-time analytics tools, you get to see user behavior, churning circumstances, command and status history, and malfunctions in visualized graphs. MoBagel helps you identify the most valuable customers and scale your business. Through AI and machine learning, MoBagel will help prevent breakdowns of your devices via real-time notification and pre-established settings. MoBagel’s system will gradually become smarter as more data is being analyzed and will then have the ability to recommend the right decision to business owners as well as the right product to consumers. With MoBagel’s platform and data analysis, the world will become a better, more convenient and safer place to live in.

AngelList: https://angel.co/mobagel

Founders: Adms Chung, Iru Wang, Chao-Kuan Lin

From: Taiwan

Fun Fact: Adms used to be a host on a TV news show.

logo_large

Nodal

Nodal produces Numa, a physical device that makes you safer by examining all of the traffic that moves in or out of your network. Paired with the Numa M mobile app, it is a comprehensive monitoring and security solution for every device from fridge to phone. Numa isn’t just a firewall – it’s much more than that. Where firewalls just look at the envelope, Numa takes an x-ray. Numa M isn’t just a way to see what’s going on with your network, it protects your phone wherever you go, without draining your battery. Numa stops attacks that antivirus software can’t. It keeps malicious traffic from getting in in the first place, so it protects connected devices such as thermostats, refrigerators, IP cameras, and control systems. Numa is security for the next generation of Internet applications. Our devices are getting smarter. Shouldn’t our networks, too?

AngelList: https://angel.co/nodal

Founders: Marcus Eagan, Bruce Kleinman

From: Mountain View, CA

Fun Fact: Marcus is a self-proclaimed fountain of useless information and is bringing the fanny pack back.

Omate Logo 2015

Omate

Omate is a hardware and software design company exclusively focusing on designing wearables. Omate’s mission is to connect the world through a wearable experience by offering fashionable wearable devices at affordable price. Omate is designing the wearables of the 21st century as we imagined them while watching “Back To The Future II” when we were kids. Omate designs and retails ready-to-wear products that are pre-sold throughout its online store and sold via a portfolio of distributors worldwide.

AngelList: https://angel.co/omate

Founder: Laurent Le Pen

From: Hong Kong / Shenzhen, China

Fun Fact: Laurent is addicted to honey and knows most flowers by their Latin names.

pixc-logo

Pixc

Pixc provides on demand product image editing. Pixc helps eCommerce stores and individuals selling online increase their sales with better product images. Pixc removes the background and touches up the photo within 24 hours. A great product on a contrasting background can increase your sales by 39%.

AngelList: https://angel.co/pixc

Founder: Holly Cardew

From: San Francisco, CA

Fun Fact: Holly used Odesk so much that she was featured in their annual report.

Publishizer

Publishizer

Publishizer is the Kickstarter for publishing. Publishizer is building a book pre-orders platform that helps non-fiction and fiction authors bring their books to market with pre-orders. Publishizer has funded over $300,000 in pre-orders so far. The Publishizer team is focused on building automated marketing tools that help authors activate and expand their audience, by integrating with Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn and MailChimp.

AngelList: https://angel.co/publishizer

Founder: Guy Vincent

From: Singapore

Fun Fact: Guy can catch small thrown things (grapes, M&M’s, etc.) with his mouth from a surprisingly impressive distance.

resultsonair-logo_mustResultsOnAir

ResultsOnAir provides web analytics-level insights for direct response TV (DRTV) campaigns. We help advertisers and media agencies increase ROI on TV ad dollars up to 40%. By tracking how an audience takes action we optimise ad buying and increase conversions.

AngelList: https://angel.co/resultsonair

Founders: Cristo Pajust, Kristo Peterson

From: Estonia

Fun Fact: Combined, Kristo, Kristel and Cristo have travelled to 100+ countries. Also lived and worked in Asia, Europe and America

Ringcaptcha

RingCaptcha

RingCaptcha is a service that helps any app developer onboard and verify users in just minutes with a single SDK. RingCaptcha was built because of the huge growth of mobile and the growing phenomenon of trendy “log-in with phone” or “verify your phone” features on many apps. Before RingCaptcha, there was no service for developers and product managers needing a free utility to onboard and verify their mobile users with a two step SMS – like most of the big online players have been using for a while (e.g. WhatsApp, Yo, Airbnb). Now they do! RingCaptcha’s mission is to help the next WhatsApp apps to onboard and verify their users in the snap of a finger.

AngelList: https://angel.co/ringcaptcha

Founders: Mariano Fernandez, Martin Cocaro

From: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Fun Fact: Martin has a twin brother.

banner-blue3

Storygami

Storygami lets you easily add related content into your videos. Now you can embed blogs, image galleries, extra videos, maps, subscription tabs, and social media streams right into your video content. 

AngelList: https://angel.co/storygami

Founders: Heidi Lindvall, Guy Gunarante

From: London, United Kingdom

Fun Fact: Guy spent the previous few years before founding Storygami bouncing around conflict zones as a video journalist, negotiating with war-worn military generals, interviewing heads of state, and surviving a minefield.

TransferCAr

Transfercar

Transfercar provides free one-way rental cars to flexible travelers while offering low cost transportation to rental car companies. On Transfercar, you can search rental cars and RV’s needing to be transferred from some of the major United States rental car companies. In return, you will be helping the rental car companies reduce their freight costs and reduce the number of trucks on the road.

AngelList: https://angel.co/transfercar

Founders: Brian Karlson, Espen Grimstad

From: Auckland, New Zealand

Fun Fact: Espen claims to have the strongest left arm in the world.

Logo Black

UCreate3D

UCreate3D provides a high quality 3D printing infrastructure to the world’s largest retailers. UCreate3D is the first company to combine a profitable consumer-driver assortment, infinitive stock without a footprint, and on-demand 3D printing. By optimizing UCreate3D’s 3D printing infrastructure through data analysis, consumers find the exact product they are looking for. UCreate3D’s global network of professional 3D printing partners enable them to ship the highest quality products at revolutionary speed. UCreate3D combines mass manufactured and locally 3D printed components to offer retailers and consumers breakthrough products that are affordable, high quality, and customizable. 

AngelList: https://angel.co/ucreate3d

Founders: Vincent Van De Poll, Koen Munneke

From: San Francisco, CA / Netherlands / Hong Kong

Fun Fact: Two of Vincent’s ancestors were the majors of Amsterdam.

Virect-Logo-with-Slogan-in-English

Virect

Virect provides a simple and effective way to get a great video. For customers who need video, Virect provides retrieval to browse and search videos and creators, recommendations based on requirements and statistical data, pitch deck submission and review, secure escrow payment transactions, and project management and feedback for communication.

 AngelList: https://angel.co/virect

Founders: Chee-Hyung Yoon, Nae Jin Hyeon

From: Korea

Fun Fact: Chee-Hyung has been coding since age six with MSX2.